0

Aqua dress, part two, and a purple shirt

I finished the aqua dress in time to begin my travels. I was unhappy with the pink bias tape, so I replaced it with facings made from a coordinating cotton print. I bordered the neck facing with matching bias tape, which I thought might help it stay in place. It seems to have worked. I hemmed it to about knee length.

It looks a bit shapeless and sad here hanging from a hotel closet, but it really is a perfect summer travel dress–just the right length and quite comfortable. I have worn it as-is and with a long scarf as a belt.

Here is a detail of the facing:

I also made another in a lightweight black linen-cotton blend, but I don’t have photos yet. The second one was super-quick–I used quilt binding on the arm and neck holes and serged all the seams.

Finally, I made a top using a new Simplicity pattern from a fabulous stash of patterns that was a gift from my in-laws. I don’t remember the pattern number, but it is a nice drapey knit top. I used a lightweight, royal purple knit, which worked well but was a bit tricky to sew due to the lightness of the material. Here it is, again hanging rather lifelessly on a hanger.

And here is a detail of the neckline as it looks when worn.

I have been wearing it with my gored┬áskirt from last year; both are great for travel since they dry quickly and don’t wrinkle. I really like this pattern and am planning to use it again; I already have a slightly heavier grey knit that I think will work beautifully.

Advertisements
0

Quickies

I’ve managed to make a small dent in my big pile of clothing needing repair or alteration. First up was this shirt, which is not quite as fitted as I’d like.

I made two darts in the front to make it more flattering, which is difficult to see in the photos but it does make a difference.

Next was this shirt, which is too baggy. Because the crinkled texture gives it stretch and shape, I just took in about an inch on each side. It is a bit better, but I may end up taking in more.

It has been folded in a pile for a long time awaiting adjustments, so it doesn’t hang quite right in the photo.

Finally, I fixed a white skirt that buttons up the front by stitching all but the top four buttons closed to prevent some weird bunching and stretching of the buttonholes. I forgot to take a photo of this one.

This isn’t the most exciting post, but I like the idea of fixing clothes I already own to make them wearable rather than buying new ones.