Baby hats

I love making baby stuff, especially out of fleece. It is so forgiving, not to mention super soft and cute. Since I have two baby showers this month, I made two little fleece hats using McCall’s M4682. I used this pattern several years ago to make a hat for my niece and it turned out surprisingly well. The first shower was for a baby girl. Since the registry had mostly items in neutral colors, I chose ivory fleece for the hat and decided to make it monochrome with ivory flowers.


The pattern said to use purchased flowers, but really, flowers are pretty easy to make. I freehanded them and attached them at the center with pale pink embroidery thread.


I have to admit, this is a pretty cute hat. In fact, I could only think of one thing that would make it cuter.


Oh yes–ears. I drew a simple ear shape and sewed the ears into the seams. I think they are a tiny bit too far apart, but overall not bad. This one is for the first grandchild of an awesome friend. I wanted to line it with ivory fleece, which I used for the ears, but there wasn’t enough. Instead I chose a blue, ivory, and brown print that is a decent, if not perfect, match.

I meant this to be a shower gift, but the baby was just born so I need to get this in the mail soon!

These hats were lots of fun to make and the pattern is really easy to customize. They do seem a bit large, though, so I think the recipients will need to grow into them.


Failed hats

I had an awesome plan for handmade gifts for my dad and brother. I was going to make some winter hats. They would be made of knit (old sweaters) and lined with fleece, and best of all, they would be reversible. They would be soft, super warm, and awesome. For the first hat, I got one of Jared’s hats and traced it to make a pattern, then cut the pattern from both materials–an old beige cardigan and some super-soft royal blue fleece. Each went together nicely and looked like a hat. So far so good.

Then, I sewed them together. I thought a zigzag stitch in royal blue would look nice. However, this was absolutely the wrong choice. I’m not sure what happened, exactly–I think I may have pulled the material too much when sewing–but the zigzag stitch flattened both materials and sort of stretched them out, giving the whole thing a scalloped edge that sort of looked like an old bonnet or ruffly sleeping cap. It was…pretty bad. See for yourself.


It gets even worse when reversed.



Fortunately, although I started this project the day before the family gift exchange, I did so early enough in the day that I had plenty of time to go shopping for real gifts.  The moral of the story: I’m not sure, exactly, but I suspect it involves an actual pattern.

I still think the basic idea is salvageable, but it will be a while before I attempt it again.