Halloween part II: The complete Nefertiti ensemble

After making the headdress, I got to work on the dress. Fortunately I had cut out the pieces three years ago when I started the costume, so all I had to do was sew it up. I used my favorite shift dress pattern, SImplicity 9175 from 1970, previously seen here. To make the dress look more like an Egyptian one, I lengthened it and made the skirt straight rather than A-line. When I bought the fabric I must have been thinking about the very fine, somewhat sheer linen that wealthy Egyptians wore, but it definitely looks costumey. Since this is just a one-time-wear costume, I didn’t bother with facings or a decent hem.

I was a bit unhappy with how the headdress wasn’t holding its rounded shape very well. I made some braces from cardboard and hot glued them in place, which made a huge difference. On the front, I added a huge gold brooch that used to be my grandmother’s–while it isn’t particularly Egyptian looking, I thought it was a decent substitute for the snake, as it added a large and shiny focal point to the front while covering the fold of the band.

IMG_4463

cardboard braces and the awful unfinished edge of the headdress

All that was needed to complete the ensemble was a necklace. I had originally planned to make my own, but time was running out, so I ordered this one on Amazon. I was really happy with it-the quality was better than I expected for the price. I had also planned to paint a pair of sandals gold, but I didn’t get to it. I just wore white sandals.

Getting the headdress to cover my hair was more difficult than I imagined. I put it into a topknot and generously hairsprayed it, but I still ended up with some hair sticking out. Since it fits quite snugly, it would push some stray strands of hair down when I put it on. I ultimately used a stretchy handband, which mostly held things in place, and carefully maneuvered the headdress over the topknot and adjusted it gently. I think it would have worked better to do this with damp hair.

IMG_4461

The last step was recreating Nefertiti’s makeup, which was not too difficult–I just put on some heavy black eyeliner and reddish lipstick and darkened my eyebrows a bit. Unfortunately, due to my desire for anonymity, you can’t see it in the photo below, but I’m sure you get the idea.

nefertitiface

This came out a bit creepier than I intended.

The costume came together pretty well; better, in fact, than I was expecting. If I were to do it again, I would probably use something sturdier than the interfacing for the headdress, perhaps cardboard, though the braces inside really helped. I would also use actual linen, or something similar, for the dress–the shiny fabric just isn’t doing it for me. Mostly, I would not wait until the last minute.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Halloween part II: The complete Nefertiti ensemble

  1. OMG your crown is so perfect! I’m being queen nefertiti for Halloween this year and I’ve been searching high and low for this crown! Could I please pay you to make me one! Pleaseeee it’s perfect! Pleas email me at xxxxx@yahoo.com Thanks! Or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s