Halloween part I: Nefertiti headdress

This year I finally finished the Nefertiti costume I started three years ago. My inspiration was the famous bust of Nefertiti.

I began with the headdress, since this was the most important part of the costume and would be the most difficult to create. Three years ago, I bought some thick interfacing and navy and gold satin to make the hat. I began my making a template of newspaper, which I played around with until the shape and size seemed right. Then I traced the newspaper pattern onto the interfacing.

IMG_4443

I cut out the interfacing and made a few adjustments for shape and fit. Then I traced the interfacing onto my navy satin with chalk, leaving about half an inch extra on all sides. This step was plagued with difficulty.

IMG_4444

Aside from the cat issue, I also remembered that satin isn’t very fun to work with due to its slipperiness.

My original idea was to create a top for the headdress, so I also cut out an oval by tracing the open end of the interfacing understructure onto the satin. Unfortunately, I just could not get it to work. I sewed it on twice, but the oval was not exactly the right size and shape, and the interfacing wasn’t sturdy enough to pull it nice and tight. I decided to forgo the top and just have an open headdress–I’m only wearing the costume to give candy to the trick-or-treaters, so I think it’s okay to have the top unfinished. When I had made the satin cover, I ironed it onto the interfacing. This worked really well, though, while I was careful not to crush the headdress during ironing, it did get a bit flattened in some spots.

Next I got to work on the band that wraps around the headdress horizontally. I planned to make this out of the gold satin, but it was a pain to make that long and narrow of a band with the fabric, so I used ivory blanket binding instead. I painted colored rectangles on the binding using metallic acrylic paint. (I know the colors aren’t quite the same as those in the original, but I was working with what I had on hand.) I left it to dry overnight. At this stage, I also made the gold forehead band and sewed it to the headdress.

IMG_4446

To make the band look better and more interesting, I decided to sew gold ribbon along its edges. I experimented with several types of gold ribbon and some gold seam binding.

IMG_4447

The seam binding (on the bottom in the photo above) looked great and would have worked really well, but there wasn’t enough of it. I ultimately went with a ribbon that was a good match for the gold satin on the forehead band. It was a bit wide, so I had to fold it so that only about two-thirds of it showed. It is that cheap, papery sort of ribbon, but it worked fine for this purpose. I also found some green ribbon of the same material and decided to place it between my red and blue painted rectangles.

IMG_4450

I basically made a ladder of ribbon and clipped it to the blanket binding. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to sew it together nicely–in fact, I was pretty skeptical.

IMG_4451

However, to my surprise, it went together like a dream. The result looked much better than with the paint alone. The only problem was that it was pretty stiff and the blanket binding was wider that the band really should have been. When I tried to attach it to the hat, I ended up having to fold it in the center front to make it curve downward. At this point I was getting tired (it was the night before Halloween) and I decided to just hot glue the band to the headdress.

IMG_4453

I planned to attach a big gold brooch to the front to cover the ugly fold. I also decided not to make the snake on the front, since I was already pretty rushed.

The back was a bit trickier–the stiffness of the band made it difficult to maneuver it into the proper shape. I think it came out fine, if a bit messy.

IMG_4454

Phew–one Nefertiti headdress finished. Tomorrow: the complete costume.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s