A dress seven years in the making

While sorting through my closet recently, I found an abandoned dress that I began around the time I got my first sewing machine in the summer of 2006. The sewing machine belonged to Jared’s grandmother, and since no one else wanted it, I ended up as its new owner. Jared’s mother took me to Jo-Ann Fabrics to buy me patterns and fabrics to get me started–this was one of my selections and the first dress I tried to make. It is an easy Simplicity pattern, though I don’t recall which one. The fabric is a white-on-brown floral, soft and with a slight sheen. I had completed the main part of the dress and had sewn the neck facings when I set it aside. Somewhere along the line one set of armhole facings went missing. Rather than cut new facings, I decided to use white bias tape. I also decided to remove the neck facing because, even with the interfacing, the print showed through the dress material.

To position the bias tape, I used my new Clover Wonder Clips. These have been on my Amazon wish list for a while, and I recently purchased a box of 50 with a gift card. They are a great alternative to pins, which I always have trouble with. I love them already. I liked the contrast of the white bias tape, so I decided to use it as a trim rather than a facing. I didn’t do the best job sewing it, but that is not too noticeable.

IMG_3757

The dress itself, being super basic, has no darts and therefore is not particularly flattering. Furthermore, I have–ahem–gained a bit of weight since I first began the dress, so it is rather tight in the bodice. This, combined with my facing alternative, resulted in some unflattering armholes.

IMG_3759

The loose thread does not help.

Using my Wonder Clips, I found the best position for a dart to alleviate the bunching fabric. I used another new tool, my pen-style chalk liner, to draw the darts before sewing them (I didn’t realize until just now that these are both made by the same company–I think I’ll be checking them out more in the future as I’m very happy with both purchases). The small darts helped quite a bit, as you can see below, though I should have made them before adding the bias tape.

IMG_3758

Much better, except for the poor job on the trim.

The dress fits decently, though not perfectly, and there are some mistakes. I can definitely live with a non-perfect dress, but there are a few other issues that keep me from really liking it. Firstly, I don’t know what I was thinking when I picked out this fabric. I like patterns, even loud ones, but the brown and white is both too much and too boring at the same time. I am not really a giant flower print kind of girl, unless it is a totally over-the-top floral print. Although there is nothing wrong with it, it’s not really my style. Secondly, this is a long dress, and I am not a fan of maxi dresses, particularly combined with this fabric. There is a lot of high-contrast floral print. Behold:

IMG_3761

So now I’m not sure whether to chop about 18 inches off to make it something I’d wear, or give it to someone who likes maxi dresses and whose style it suits better. However, because of the overall sloppy workmanship, I’m not sure I want to give it to anyone else. I’ll probably end up shortening it and wearing it around the house and while running errands. It does look fairly cute when belted.

IMG_3762

Even though the result isn’t fantastic, it’s still nice to (almost) complete an unfinished project. Now we’ll see how long it sits awaiting a hem.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s